Medical astrology is a science which provides insight into a person’s potential physical and mental strengths and weaknesses which lead to susceptibility to certain illnesses. Very few people are aware of the fact that Hippocrates, The father of medicine, was also a believer of astrology. He said, “He who practices medicine without the benefit of stars and planets is a fool”. This quote indicates the antiquity of the science as well.
Medical astrology also provides medical professionals with the real cause behind the breakdown of certain organs in an individuals’ body. Every illness has a physical and medical component. The horoscope also reveals the emotional and mental pattern of a person which makes him prone to a certain illness.
According to astrology the human body is divided into 12 parts which correspond to the 12 zodiac signs. The position of debilitated planets in a zodiac in a particular house in the horoscope leads to an illness. For e.g. since the 1st zodiac sign Aries rules the head presence of certain planets in the 1st house of a person with Aries ascendant will lead to migraine and headaches.
- Aries – head, face, brain, eyes
- Taurus – throat, neck, thyroid gland, vocal tract
- Gemini – arms, lungs, shoulders, hands, nervous system, brain
- Cancer – chest, breasts, stomach, alimentary canal
- Leo – heart, chest, spine, spinal column, upper back
- Virgo – digestive system, intestines, spleen, nervous system
- Libra – kidneys, skin, lumbar region, buttocks
- Scorpio – reproductive system, sexual organs, bowels, excretory system
- Sagittarius – hips, thighs, liver, sciatic nerve
- Capricorn – knees, joints, skeletal system
- Aquarius – ankles, calves, circulatory system
- Pisces – feet, toes, lymphatic system, adipose tissue
The zodiac signs and the body are ruled by the planets. They govern the following parts and functions:
- Sun – heart, spine, and general vitality
- Moon – stomach, digestive system, female organs, lymphatic system
- Mercury - brain, central nervous system, thyroid gland, five senses, hands
- Venus – throat, kidneys, thymus gland, sense of touch, ovaries
- Mars – muscles, head, adrenal glands, senses of smell and taste
- Jupiter - liver, thighs, feet, growth, pituitary gland
- Saturn – skin, hair, teeth, bones, the body’s defenses, spleen
- Uranus – parathyroid gland, neural activity, aura
- Neptune – pineal gland, psychic healing
- Pluto – pancreas, metabolism, elimination
The zodiac signs are also classified according to the predominant element. They are classified as Earth signs, water signs, fire signs & air signs. The following illnesses generally affect people belonging to the respective element.
Earth signs comprise of Taurus, Virgo & Capricorn- they are prone to emotional depression which results in a lot of deep rooted physical ailments which take very long to cure.
Water signs comprise of Scorpio, Cancer and Pisces- They are prone to gout, lymphatic diseases and melancholia.
Fire signs comprise of Leo, Aries and Sagittarius- They are prone to high fevers, hair loss & certain fulminating illnesses. Their recovery is also swifter.
Air signs comprise of Gemini, Libra and Aquarius- They are prone to nervous breakdowns, breathing problems, sleep disturbances and circulatory problems.
Another aspect of astrology is numerology. In the absence of complete birth details the birth date can be used to determine a person’s predisposition to diseases. Human beings are broadly classified into 9 groups depending on their date of birth. For e.g., a person born on the 1st of any month is a no.1. Such a person has a tendency to suffer from mental stress if he loses his optimism.
Apart from diagnosis another use of medical astrology is to elect a date for surgery. As Hippocrates said, “Touch not that part with iron that part of the body ruled by the sign that the moon is transiting”.
We are all aware of the effect of the moon in oceanic tides. Our body consists of 75% water. Hence surgery should be avoided of a part ruled by a particular zodiac where the moon is transiting. The complications in not following this norm are:
1) Complications including infection.
2) Very painful and slow recuperation.
According to a survey 5% of the deaths in any hospital are inexplicable by the doctors. The reasons are the planets. For e.g. the 2nd zodiac sign Taurus rules the throat. So tonsillectomy should not be performed if moon is transiting the sign.
Apart from diagnosis astrology can also be used to heal. Certain gems and colours correspond to different planets. If these are used correctly they can help in speeding recovery of a patient. For e.g. a person suffering from bleeding diseases should avoid the colour red. Similarly, a person suffering from mental stress may benefit from wearing a pearl