As a child this fruit would repel me with its peculiar odour. No matter how much my Mom convinced me that it looked like mango hence would even taste like one, the strange odour prevented me from eating it. As I grew older, and read about the health benefits of this fruit when studying Ayuveda as an undergrad, I attempted to taste and now am a certified fan of this golden fruit. This is not your regular food, but one bursting with nutrients and hereby I submit my case:
1. It is an excellent source of fibre, potassium, vitamins A, C & E.
2. Ayurveda describes its vipaak as “hot” while it is beneficial to vata and kapha people it may be advised sparingly for a pitta dominated person.
3. The fibrous property of the fruit imparts laxative quality and helps relieve constipation.
4. It contains a digestive enzyme papain, hence is used as a meat tenderizer due to its ability to digest protein.
5. Clinical trials have proven the efficacy of the juice of papaya leaves in increasing white blood cells & platelet count in patients suffering from dengue.
6. Papain found in this fruit revs up metabolism and is beneficial for weight loss.
7. Papaya is one of those few fruits which can be safely consumed after a meal and even at night.
8. 1tsp honey mixed with 1 tsp paste of papaya leaves can cure jaundice.
9.Raw Papaya contains a latex like substance which has an effect similar to oxytocin and prostaglandin which may induce uterine contractions hence it is contraindicated in pregnancy.
10. If you wish to exfoliate your skin prepare a body scrub with 6 Tbsp papaya paste and 2 tbsp oats , mix it with 1 spoon almond oil. Let this stay on your body for 2-3 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. You will be very pleased with the results.
11. To make your face glow, mash a piece of papaya and mix it with 1 tsp honey. Apply this over your face and let it stay for 15- 20 mins before washing it off. Everyone will notice the remarkable glow.
Indeed Papaya is a super food, I wouldn't venture into eating a raw on though, but I regularly eat the ripe one and it has indeed made skin feel wonderfulReplyDelete
Win a Vegas Hangover - by Wrogn