This asana is a part of the Vajrasana series. The Vajra or the thunderbolt is the weapon of lord Indra. Vajra is the major nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body. This series is therefore beneficial for the reproductive as well as digestive organs.
Ushtra means Camel and this pose is also called the camel pose
Getting into the posture:
1. Sit in the Vajrasana kneeling on the floor with knees close together.
2.Stand on the knees with arms on the side. The knees and the feet should be together.
3. Inhale and lean backwards, slowly reaching for the right heel with the right hand and then the left heel with the left hand.
4. Do not strain.
5.Push the hips forward keeping the thighs vertical and bend the head and spine backwards as far as possible.
6. Relax the whole body specially the back muscles into the stretch.
7. The weight of the body should be evenly supported by the legs and arms.
8. Remain in this final position as long as comfortable.
It is beneficial for digestive and reproductive systems.
The backward bend loosens up the vertebrae, relieves backache,.
Brings improvement in the posture.
Regulates the thyroid glands.
Helpful in asthma.
People with severe back ailments such as lumbago should not attempt this asana.